Funding of activities related to designation and monitoring of notified bodies
The costs associated with joint assessment activities shall be covered by the Commission. The Commission shall, by means of implementing acts, lay down the scale and structure of recoverable costs and other necessary implementing rules. Those implementing acts shall be adopted in accordance with the examination procedure referred to in Article 114(3).
1. Member States may only designate conformity assessment bodies for which the assessment pursuant to Article 39 was completed and which comply with Annex VII.
2. Member States shall notify the Commission and the other Member States of the conformity assessment bodies they have designated, using the electronic notification tool within the database of notified bodies developed and managed by the Commission (NANDO).
3. The notification shall clearly specify, using the codes referred to in paragraph 13 of this Article, the scope of the designation indicating the conformity assessment activities as defined in this Regulation and the types of devices which the notified body is authorised to assess and, without prejudice to Article 44, any conditions associated with the designation.
4. The notification shall be accompanied by the final assessment report of the authority responsible for notified bodies, the final opinion of the joint assessment team referred to in Article 39(9) and the recommendation of the MDCG. Where the notifying Member State does not follow the recommendation of the MDCG, it shall provide a duly substantiated justification.
5. The notifying Member State shall, without prejudice to Article 44, inform the Commission and the other Member States of any conditions associated with the designation and provide documentary evidence regarding the arrangements in place to ensure that the notified body will be monitored regularly and will continue to satisfy the requirements set out in Annex VII.
6. Within 28 days of the notification referred to in paragraph 2, a Member State or the Commission may raise written objections, setting out its arguments, with regard either to the notified body or to its monitoring by the authority responsible for notified bodies. Where no objection is raised, the Commission shall publish in NANDO the notification within 42 days of its having been notified as referred to in paragraph 2.
7. When a Member State or the Commission raises objections in accordance with paragraph 6, the Commission shall bring the matter before the MDCG within 10 days of the expiry of the period referred to in paragraph 6. After consulting the parties involved, the MDCG shall give its opinion at the latest within 40 days of the matter having been brought before it. Where the MDCG is of the opinion that the notification can be accepted, the Commission shall publish in NANDO the notification within 14 days.
8. Where the MDCG, after having been consulted in accordance with paragraph 7, confirms the existing objection or raises another objection, the notifying Member State shall provide a written response to the MDCG opinion within 40 days of its receipt. The response shall address the objections raised in the opinion, and set out the reasons for the notifying Member State’s decision to designate or not designate the conformity assessment body.
9. Where the notifying Member State decides to uphold its decision to designate the conformity assessment body, having given its reasons in accordance with paragraph 8, the Commission shall publish in NANDO the notification within 14 days of being informed thereof.
10. When publishing the notification in NANDO, the Commission shall also add to the electronic system referred to in Article 57 the information relating to the notification of the notified body along with the documents mentioned in paragraph 4 of this Article and the opinion and responses referred to in paragraphs 7 and 8 of this Article.
11. The designation shall become valid the day after the notification is published in NANDO. The published notification shall state the scope of lawful conformity assessment activity of the notified body.
12. The conformity assessment body concerned may perform the activities of a notified body only after the designation has become valid in accordance with paragraph 11.
13. The Commission shall by 26 November 2017, by means of implementing acts, draw up a list of codes and corresponding types of devices for the purpose of specifying the scope of the designation of notified bodies. Those implementing acts shall be adopted in accordance with the examination procedure referred to in Article 114(3). The Commission, after consulting the MDCG, may update this list based, inter alia, on information arising from the coordination activities described in Article 48.
Application by conformity assessment bodies for designation
1. Conformity assessment bodies shall submit an application for designation to the authority responsible for notified bodies.
2. The application shall specify the conformity assessment activities as defined in this Regulation, and the types of devices for which the body is applying to be designated, and shall be supported by documentation demonstrating compliance with Annex VII.
In respect of the organisational and general requirements and the quality management requirements set out in Sections 1 and 2 of Annex VII, a valid accreditation certificate and the corresponding evaluation report delivered by a national accreditation body in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 765/2008 may be submitted and shall be taken into consideration during the assessment described in Article 39. However, the applicant shall make available all the documentation referred to in the first subparagraph to demonstrate compliance with those requirements upon request.
3. The notified body shall update the documentation referred to in paragraph 2 whenever relevant changes occur, in order to enable the authority responsible for notified bodies to monitor and verify continuous compliance with all the requirements set out in Annex VII.
Powered by TS Q&E - ISO 13485:2016 Medical Device Consulting Services